University of Nairobi Closed Indefinitely

By | October 3, 2017

University of Nairobi Closed Indefinitely

University of Nairobi has been closed indefinitely following student unrest.

The learners blocked Lower Kabete Road protesting last Thursday’s invasion and assault by police.

The University Senate announced the immediate closure citing deteriorating security situation.

Vice Chancellor Peter Mbithi, through Twitter on Tuesday, said students should vacate halls residence not later than 9.00am.

Last night, students at the main campus also held demonstrations and barricaded Mamlaka Road and State House Road.

This was before police dispersed them.

The students demanded that Prof Mbithi resigns accusing him of inviting the anti-riot police to invade their lecture halls and hostels to assault them.


The University of Nairobi has been closed indefinitely following last week’s violent unrest over former student leader Babu Owino’s detention over hate speech. The protests saw police make their way into the institution and rain terror on students, some of whom did not take part in the protests.

While issuing a statement on the step to close the institution, Vice Chancellor Prof. Peter Mbithi said the University Senate arrived at the decision following the worsening security situation. Students were asked to vacate school premises not later than 9am.

Earlier today students from the institution’s Lower Kabete campus took to the streets and blocked roads in protest of last week’s police brutality.

Reportedly, one of the victims of the brutality succumbed to injuries. However, Prof. Mbithi denied allegations of any loss of life. Mbithi came under fire from students and the general public after allowing police to invade the campus and exact untold brutality on both students and lecturers.

In widely shared videos, police can be seen bursting into halls of residence and beating up students, both males and females. The police are also seen throwing tear gas into a room and closing the windows.

Inspector General of police, Joseph Boinnet followed the now too common script of denying that police used excessive force in quelling the riots. When probed on the numerous video evidence that clearly showed the brutality, Boinnet said they were probably fake.

Independent Police Oversight Authority had earlier issued a press statement saying that they will probe cases of police misconduct and vowed to be non-partisan. The police watchdog asked witnesses and victims to come forth and provide information that could aid in their investigations.