technical university of mombasa gallery, Technical University of Mombasa (TUM) has passed through three transitional levels to become what it is now. The various phases it has undergone so far reflect the GOK’s concerted efforts in promoting technical, industrial, vocational and entrepreneurship education and training in line with the dynamic technological and industrial growth in Kenya and in Africa.
The origin of TUM can be traced back to the late 1940’s as a result of the consultations pioneered by Sir Philip Mitchell in 1948 between The Aga Khan, the Sultan of Zanzibar, the Secretary of State for the colonies, Sir Bernard Reilly and H. M. Treasury.
Out of these consultations, Mombasa Institute of Muslim Education (MIOME) was founded from capital raised by means of gifts of Kshs.100, 000 from Sultan of Zanzibar and Kshs.50, 000 by the Bohra Community of East Africa at the insistence of Doctor Sayedna Taher Saifuddin. Sheikh-Sir Mbarak Al-Hinawy who served as the Liwali (Governor) for the Coast of East Africa and Mombasa from 1941-1959 also had major contributions in MIOME’s development.
As the Governor he was consulted by the Government about various aspects of the proposed school, including its charter. In his capacity he represented the Sultan of Zanzibar and closely worked with the British colonial government. Sheikh Khamis was a generous and enlightened philanthropist who sought to assist local causes. In 1948 he was the one who donated 34 acres of land where the institute was built and in Tudor area where the Prof. Ali Alamin Mazrui Campus stands. It was Sir Mbarak Al Hinawy who secured this prime land in port Tudor from his close friend Sheikh Khamis.Without this land MIOME would not have become a reality. When MIOME was opened in 1951, the Sultan of Zanzibar Sheikh Khalifa bin Harab and Sheikh-Sir Mbarak Al-Hinawy were the key guests in the occasion. Sheikh-Sir Mbarak Ali-Hinawy was the founding member of MIOME’s Board of Governors.