Ministry of Education Kenya
The Ministry of Education Kenya now Ministry of Education, Science and Technology derives its mandate from the Constitution of Kenya, Chapter Four Articles 43, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, and 59 have provisions on children’s right to free and compulsory basic education, including quality services, and to access education institutions and facilities for persons with disabilities that are integrated into society, to the extent compatible with the interests of the person. This includes the use of Sign language, Braille or other appropriate means of communication, and access to materials and devices to overcome constraints arising from the person’s disability.
There are also provisions on access for youth to relevant education and training; access to employment; participation and representation of minorities and marginalized groups in governance and other spheres of life, special opportunities in educational and economic fields, and special opportunities for access to employment. The rights of minorities and marginalized groups to reasonable access to water, health services and infrastructure are also enshrined, as it is incumbent upon government to develop a culture of human rights, promote gender equality and equity and facilitate gender mainstreaming in national development.
The functions of Educational and training are shared between the national and county governments as contained in Schedule 4 of the Constitution. The functions of the National Government are: education policy, standards, curriculum, examinations, granting of university charters, universities, tertiary educational institutions, institutions of research, higher learning, primary schools, special education, secondary schools, special education institutions and promotion of sports and sports education. The functions of the County Government in relation to education are: pre-primary education, village polytechnics, home-craft centres, farmers training centres and childcare facilities.
In addition, Parliament, over the years has enacted a series of Acts on various dimensions of education whose objects and goals the Ministry is expected to implement to give effect to the Constitutional provisions pertaining to education and training of Kenyans.
Under the Executive Order No. 2/2013 on the Organisation of the Government of the Republic of Kenya, the Ministry is responsible for Education Policy Management; Management of Continuing Education; Administration of Early Childhood Education, education; Standards and Norms; Management of Education Standards; Management of National Examinations and Certification; Curriculum Development; Quality Assurance in Education; Primary and Secondary Education Institutions Management; Teacher Education and Management; School Administration and Programmes; Registration of Basic Education and Training Institutions; Special Needs Education Management; Representation of Kenya in UNESCO; Adult Education Management; University Education Policy Management; University education; Public Universities and Tertiary Institutions; Science technology innovation policy; Management of Technical Training Institutes including Youth Polytechnics; Management of Institutes of Science and Technology; Management of National Polytechnics; National Council for Sciences and Technology.
The Ministry of education Kenya has established an elaborate network through its established departments, and sector institutions, to effectively deliver on its mandate. The specific mandate of the Ministry of education Kenya includes the following:
- Education Policy Management
- Management of Continuing Education
- Administration of Early Childhood Education, Standards and Norms
- Management of Education Standards
- Management of National Examinations and Certification
- Curriculum Development
- Quality Assurance in Education
- Primary and Secondary Education Institutions Management
- Teacher Education and Management
- School Administration and Programmes
- Registration of Basic Education and Training Institutions
- Special Needs Education management
- Representation of Kenya in UNESCO
- Adult Education Management
- University Education Policy Management
- University Education
- Public Universities and Tertiary Institutions
- Science Technical and Innovation Policy
- Management of Technical Training Institutes including Youth Polytechnics
- Management of Institutes of Science and Technology
- Management of National Polytechnics
- National Council for Science and Technology
Vision Statement of Ministry of Education Kenya
A globally competitive education, training, research and innovation system for sustainable development.
Mission Statement of Ministry of Education Kenya
To provide, promote and coordinate quality education, training and research; and enhance integration of Science, Technology and Innovation into national production systems for sustainable development.
Core Values of Ministry of Education Kenya
In pursuit of our vision and mission, we will be guided by the following fundamental core values:
- Transparency, accountability and integrity – We are committed to delivering our services in an honest, accountable and transparent manner.
- World-class benchmarking standards – We commit ourselves to deliver based on international standards for global competitiveness.
- Excellence and team work – We embrace excellence in service delivery, teamwork and collaboration both among internal team members and with external stakeholders in the delivery of services.
- Respect for human rights and gender sensitivity – We shall render services without any discrimination regardless of race, ethnic background, religion, gender and social status
- Professionalism, ethical and evidence based decision making – Service deliver will be based on the highest professional standards and ethics. Decisions made will, as much as possible, be based on objectively verifiable facts.
- Innovation and creativity – Service delivery will be improved through continuous and creativity in new and more efficient methods.
Below are all the contact details of ministry of education Kenya
State Department of Science and Technology
P.O BOX 9583-00200
Jogoo House B,Harambee Avenue
Directorate of Technical Education
24th Floor, Teleposta Towers,
Directorate of Research Management and Development
Tel: 2219420 ,2218655, 310571
State Department of Education
P.O Box 30040-00100
Jogoo House B, Harambee Avenue
Email: [email protected]
Directorate of Higher Education
26th floor, Teleposta Towers,
National Commission for Science Technology and Innovation
Tel: 2219420, 2241349, 310571/2218655
Ministry of Education Kenya Scholarship Application
Below is the scholarship application portal of the Ministry of Education Kenya. Follow the link in order to access every information on available scholarship and application process.
Click the link here in order to visit the ministry of Education Kenya scholarship application portal
Ministry of Education Kenya Website
Below is the official website of the Ministry of education Kenya
Click the link here in order to visit the official website of the ministry of education Kenya