Maseno University Wifi, Eduroam, derived from “education roaming” is an international roaming service for users in research, higher education and further education. It provides researchers, teachers and students easy and secure network access when visiting an institution other than their own.
For anyone to be able to use tis network(wi-Fi), his or her institution must be eduroam-enabled. As anend-user you will only be able to use eduroam if your institution provides electronic identity. The user’s authentication is done by the user’s home institution whereas the authorization decision allowing access to the network resources is done by the visited network.
To start using eduroam you need to do some configurations to your laptop. The following are steps to follow in the configuration:
- Open control panel.
- Click “Network and Internet”.
- Click “Network and Sharing Center”
- Click “Set up a new connection or network”
- Select and click “Manually connect to a wireless network” then click “Next”.
- Fill in “eduroam” in the Network name and select “WPA2-Enterprise” in security type then click next.
- Click “Change connection settings”.
- Click Security Tab then click “Settings” button..
- Check “Enable Identity Privacy” at the bottom then click OK
- Click “Advanced Settings”.
- Check “Specify authentication mode:” then from the drop down list select “User authentication”.
- Click “Save credentials” and fill in username with your institution email such as “[email protected]” and password with your registration number. In Maseno university we write the whole registration number exclusive of slashes such as “ci010322013”.
- Then click OK to all open windows and “close” for the window with that button.
You can now click the wifi icon at the bottom right of the task bar and connect to the wifi.
All is said and done! Hope you enjoyed the tutorial.