Maseno University School Of Medicine, The School of Medicine is one of the newest schools to be established at Maseno University. It has been developed under close consultations with diverse medical professionals and the Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board, and is accredited by the Board to offer medical training in Kenya. The School’s core mandate is to train and produce high quality doctors and other health professionals who are proficient in clinical care, preventive medicine, management of health service and medical research.
The objectives of the School are:
1) To provide quality teaching, clinical services and medical research
2) To inculcate proficiency in the diagnosis, treatment, disease prevention and promotion of health
3) To impart knowledge and interest of students in medical research and continuing education for generation, preservation and dissemination of new knowledge and skills
4) To facilitate acquisition of knowledge and understanding of medical ethics and respect for socio-cultural factors and economic in the diverse communities served by graduates of the school
Programmes of study offered in the school
- Master of Science in Medical Physiology
- Master of Medicine in family and emergency medicine
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBChB) with IT
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Nursing with IT
The School of Medicine, located at the main Campus in Siriba, is accredited by the Medical Practitioners & Dentists Board. Its mandate is to train and produce health professionals and contribute to bridging the growing demand for medical practitioners in Kenya. The School admitted its pioneer students of the MBChB training programmein January 2012, and has now attained a full cycle of the programme, with an average of 60 students per year.
Pre-clinical teaching occurs at our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities situated in Siriba part of the main campus while clinical clerkships are undertaken in Kisumu, at JaramogiOgingaOdinga Teaching & Referral Hospital (JOOTRH) and Kisumu County Referral Hospital.
To be a medical school of excellence in the training of health professionals capable of addressing national and global health needs.
To produce healthprofessionals equipped with adequate knowledge, skills, professional attitudes and competencies in health care delivery, research and innovation.
Quality training of health care professionals in the context of future professional practice in hospital and community settings with emphasis on delivery of health care services, research and innovation.
Respect for human life and dignity
Commitment to excellence and service delivery
Practice of knowledge-led and evidence-based medicine
Integrity, respect and professionalism
Creativity and innovation