Laikipia University Page, the University has a unique history that has evolved through different educational phases. It was started in April 1929 by a British Colonial farmer cum educationist by the name William Thomas Alfred Levet.
The Institution was by then a whites’ only primary school with a large farm, which was sold to Guy Bullen in February 1959. Mr. Bullen sold it to Ministry of Agriculture in 1965. Between 1965 and 1970, the Institution served as a Large–scale Farmers training (LSFTC) college.
The LSFTC was administered by the Ministry of Agriculture and Animal Husbandry. In October 1979, it was converted into a Animal Husbandry and Industry Training Institute (AHITI) offering a two year course leading to a Certificate in Animal Health. From 1988 to 1990, this operated as a Diploma Science Teacher’s college under Ministry of Education after which it was taken over by Egerton University on 1st July 1990 as a campus. It remained a campus of Egerton University between 1990 till 2010 majoring in BEd Arts and BA corses. In 2011 it became a constituent University College of Egerton University until 19th February 2013 when it became a fully fledged University.
Laikipia University was established as a Campus of Egerton University. This followed the recommendations of a Government Committee appointed to look into modalities of absorbing a double intake of “O” level and “A” level students from Secondary Schools. It was meant to offer Education courses for graduate teacher-training. Since then, the University has grown in student numbers and staff and now offers additional academic programmes. In view of its growth, the increased demand for university education and in response to the community, the LUC – Council appointed an Academic Board Committee on upgrading Laikipia Campus to a University status.
Since August 2005, several Stakeholder Workshops have been held between the Upgrading Committee and community leaders to sensitize the community on the need to partner and collaborate with the University in higher education management and delivery of services. It was observed that the University would establish satellite campuses in Maralal, Isiolo, Nyahururu and Nanyuki as learning centres for various tailor made programmes. The District Education Board (Laikipia District) was also informed about the plans to upgrade the Campus into a constituent of Egerton University.
Laikipia University was awarded Charter on 19th February 2013 by the then President & Commander in Chief of the Defence Forces of the Republic of Kenya; his Excellency Hon. Mwai Kibaki E.G.H., This made the institution a fully-fledged University.
Vision & Mission
A University for valued transformation of society
To serve the students and society through research, education, scholarship, training, outreach and consultancy
Charter, Statutes, Policies
Laikipia University Service Charter
Laikipia University Policies
- Gender Mainstreaming Policy and Guidelines
- Code of Conduct and Ethics
- Anti – Corruption Policy
- Public Complaints and Resolution Policy and Programmes
- Workplace Gender and Workplace- Based Violence Policy and Guidelines
- HIV/Aids Policy
- Alcohol, Drug and Substance Abuse Policy
- Board of Postgraduate Studies Policy
- Part-Time Teaching policy
- ICT Policy and Strategy
- Staff Establishment Policy
- Staff Training and Development Policy
- Anti-Tribalism Policy
P.O. Box 1100 – 20300
Admission Office Enquiries:
+254(0)20 267 1779,
+254(0)20 267 1771,