Jomo Kenyatta University Of Agriculture And Technology Medical School, JKUAT School of Medicine aspires to become a premier medical academic training centre with local and international collaborators, taking advantage of expanding global networks.
School of Medicine
Bachelors of Medicine and Surgery (MBChB)
Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT) is one of the most popular higher education institutions in Kenya, and the School of Medicine shares its reputation for excellence in teaching and research in medicine. The School of Medicine is located within the College of Health sciences, JKUAT Main campus in Juja.
The Bachelors in Medicine and Surgery course (MBChB) integrates a vibrant 6 year undergraduate course in clinical training tailored to local and international needs with an aim of improving human health.
The JKUAT MBChB curriculum is designed to be learner centered and outcome based with a community orientation. It is a hybrid curriculum that employs conventional lecture system and Problem Based Learning (PBL)/tutorials in its delivery.
Currently we are in collaboration with KEMRI for teaching of postgraduate students and research, collaboration with University of Wales in CARDIF (UWIC) for staff exchange.
The school is committed to innovative research that will transform health service delivery in the country. We aim to provide graduates whose qualifications are internationally recognized and locally applicable.
Our vision is to have a centre of excellence for training high level skilled disciplined manpower capable of providing evidence based healthcare services in different resource settings, engage in research and generation of new ideas, preservation and dissemination of knowledge. This is in line with the JKUAT vision, “A University of Global excellence in Training, Research and Innovation for Development”.
Our mission is to provide teaching, research and quality healthcare services in line with the university mission,: “To offer accessible quality training, research and innovation in order to produce leaders in the fields of Agriculture, Engineering, Technology, Enterprise Development, Built Environment, Health Science and other applied Sciences to suit the needs of a dynamic world”.
We strive to provide superior, quality educational experience for our trainees through:
• Dedicated teaching and learning.
• Guaranteeing internationally competitive qualifications.
• Providing an internationally competitive and socially stimulating environment.
• Focusing training on knowledge and experience that addresses key challenges facing society.
• Stimulating international linkages for researchers and research groups.
• Expanding our networks, locally and internationally.
• Promoting student and staff exchanges as well as collaborative research.
Bachelors of Medicine and Surgery (MBChB)
1. Regular Programs:
All candidates admitted to MBChB degree must satisfy the following requirements:
a) They must satisfy the common requirements for entry into the University
b) In addition the applicants must obtain at least the minimum cut off points for the year as determined from the following cluster drawn from Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education:
2. Privately Sponsored Students Programme (PSSP)
a) All candidates must satisfy the common requirements for entry into the University
b) In addition:
i) K.C.S.E. Holders: An average of B+(plus) in the 4 cluster subjects shown above provided that no subject in the cluster shall have a score below C+ (plus).
ii) Advanced Level Holders: A minimum of 2 principal passes; one in Biology and the other in Chemistry and one subsidiary pass in either Mathematics or Physics.
iii) Diploma in Clinical Medicine: A minimum “O” level Division II pass or C+ (plus) Mean Grade and Credit pass C+ (plus) in the cluster subjects in K.C.S.E. in addition to a Credit pass in the professional qualification from a recognized medical training institution.
iv) Holders of any degree in the biological sciences from JKUAT or equivalent qualification from a university recognized by JKUAT senate.
To be a global centre of excellence in training, research and innovation in evidence based health care services.
To offer quality training, research and health care services (in medicine, pharmacy, public health, physiotherapy, sports medicine and hospital administration) in order to suit the needs of a dynamic world communities.
At the end of the programme, the graduate should be able to:
1. Apply the process of critical reasoning in healthcare.
2. Apply knowledge of physical, chemical, biological, psychological, social, development and environmental mechanisms in diagnosis, management and prevention of illness.
3. Manage healthcare services.
4. Evaluate the effectiveness of interventions used in dealing with community health problems.
5. Contribute actively to the promotion and maintenance of good health, and prevention of ill health.
6. Apply cutting edge principles of research in identifying and managing health problems.
7. Plan and implement training/educational programmes for the community and health workers.
8. Engage in and maintain productive professional ethics.
9. Acquire, evaluate and communicate information appropriately.
10. Adapt to and participate in change.