Daystar University School Of Human And Social Sciences, The School of Social Sciences houses the Departments of Psychology, Counseling and Child Development; Development Studies and Child Institute. Welcome to the School of Human and Social Sciences whose objective is holistic service to all humankind through Novelty, Quality and Integrity. This is based on Daystar University’s Mission of developing “managers, professionals, researchers and scholars to be effective Christian servant-leaders through the integration of Christian faith and holistic learning for the transformation of church and society in Africa and the World.”
As a School we are committed to providing holistic education that transforms our graduates to become change agents in the communities and empowers them to free people from their incapacitating limitations. We believe that human beings have the desire to realize their potentials in life and given a chance, they can enjoy fuller lives.
We have PhD in Clinical Psychology, Masters in Counseling Psychology and soon to be launched is Masters in Clinical Psychology. We do also have BA and Diploma in Counseling Psychology.
Similarly, we seek to acknowledge cultural diversity, integration of faith and learning, truth and justice, credence in promotion of intellectualism and Scholarly discourse. In the School of Human and Social Sciences, we exist to build, shape, model and mentor humankind, and to this end we subscribe with humility.
PROFESSIONALISM IN NOVELTY, QUALITY AND INTEGRITY
The School of Human and Social Sciences (SHSS) concerns itself with issues ranging from human to social development, corporate world to social institutions, interpersonal to community relationships and pathological to maladjustment among others.
The existence of the School of Human and Social Sciences is necessitated by the reality that mental and community health in Africa and the rest of the world have been undergoing dynamic changes and for most part in none reversible ways. The days of consultation of community counsellors and workers within the African cultural setting appear to be diminishing at unredeemable speed. Furthermore, the social fabric in the African continent has gone through a metamorphosis. In Kenya specifically, from the prison doors to the Cathedral gates and from the humblest family setting to the golden gates of the aristocrats, the outcry for psychological and social services is irresistible. In line with Daystar’s Vision and Mission, the School of Human and Social Sciences trains Christian servant-leaders who are competent professionals, researchers, and scholars for the African continent and beyond. Graduates trained in the School work for Government, private, Para-church organisations, Churches, hospitals, nongovernmental organisations and institutions of learning.
School’s Academic Objectives
- Use participatory approach to bring linkage between the School community and the clientele
- Develop Christian servant leaders and professionals with up-to date knowledge and effective skills for driving positive change in contemporary organizations and communities
- Maintain novelty in developing quality, unique, relevant and market driven programs Improve student satisfaction through setting in place the advisory system, counselling and conducting student satisfaction surveys
- Encourage innovation, research, publication and consultancy among faculty
- Equip students with a commitment to lifelong learning, moral living, critical thinking and personal growth
- Encourage and promote academic and professional faculty development and training
- Establish mechanisms for keeping track of alumni Use performance contracting system to monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of implementation and success
Dr. Kennedy Ongaro
Dean, School of Human and Social Sciences
LIST OF PROGRAMS OFFERED
Certificate Programmes (3 Months)
• Child Development
• Child Therapy
• Family Studies
• Contemporary Issues in Family Studies
- International Relations
• Bachelor of Arts
– Psychology & Counseling
– Community Development (Integrated Option)
– Monitoring & Evaluation (NEW)
• Postgraduate Diploma in Child Development
• Master of Arts
– Counseling Psychology
– Monitoring & Evaluation
– Child Development Programme with concentrations in Integrated Studies, Family Studies and Child Therapy
• Ph.D in Clinical Psychology