Technical University Of Kenya School Of Hospitality, the School of Hospitality and Tourism Studies is one of the oldest academic units at the university, having been established in 1964 as the Department of Institutional Management. The initial focus for the school was to offer Certificate and Diploma courses for Institutional Catering and Studies, Hostel, Hotel and restaurant employees.
With the elevation of the University College to a fully fledged university the school introduced Degree programs and other courses targeting high school graduates, Hospitality, Tourism, Leisure and Events employeees as well as others interested in careers within the fields.
SHTS produces highly competent, technological and application oriented leaders, practitioners and managers for the hospitality, leisure and oturism industries as well as creating and transfer knowledge through extension, outreach and partnership with local communities, private and public sectors and international professional community. Graduates of the Bachelors and Diploma programmes join the industry as Supervisors, Tour and Travel Guides, Event Planners, Chefs, Hotel and Restaurant Managers, Executive Housekeepers, Laundry Operators, Tourism Advisors, Consultants and Strategists. The school has four distinct academic units namely:
- Department of Tourism and Travel Management
- Department of Leisure and Event Management
- Department of Hospitality Management
- Department of Institutional Catering and Accommodation Management
MISSION, VISION & CORE VALUES
VISION: To be a top rated technologically and application oriented school of hospitality, leisure, events and tourism studies globally.
MISSION: To develop graduates who are technologically savvy, innovative, and application oriented and to promote cutting ege interdisciplinary research and innovation in hospitality, leisure, event and tourism related industries and society
- Commitment to excellence in education, training, and cost-effective delivery of quality results and services
- Respect, responsiveness and compassion towards students and staff
- Collegiality and team spirit
- Integrity, transparency and accountability
- Fairness and equitable allocation of resources and opportunities to students and staff
- Upholding academic freedom and truthfulness in the pursuit, generation, dissemination and application of knowledge.
- Creativity, industry, innovation and entrepreneurship
- Appreciation and celebration of diversity in all forms including ethnicity, race, gender, difference of opinion and thought systems
- Commitment to sustainable development of hospitality, leisure and tourism resources
- Collaboration, partnership and networking with external and internal stakeholders within our fields of expertise
- Respect and upholding the spirit of the Kenyan Constitution, UNWTO Code of Ethics, and the KPUC Service Charter.
- To provide Relevant Education and Professional Training to Graduates and Employees of Hospitality, Leisure, Event and Tourism Related Industries.
- To Develop Technologically Savvy, Innovative and Application Oriented Graduates.
- To underake and disseminate cutting edge Interdisciplinary Research for the development of Industry and Society
- To Promote Inter-Institutional Collaboration, Partnership and Networks Regionally and Globally.
- To develop the Capacity of Lecturers and Staff to Improve Service Delivery.
SCHOOL OF HOSPITALITY AND TOURISM STUDIES
List of programmes – Department of Hospitality Management
|1||Bachelor of Science In Hospitality Management||KCSE Mean Grade: C+ (Plus) wit C(Plain) in Mathematics Option A/B||11 Semesters integrated|
|2||BACHELOR OF TECHNOLOGY IN HOTEL AND RESTAURANT MANAGEMENT||3- year Diploma in Technology (Dip-Tech) in Hotel and Restaurant Management from TUK, or equivalent qualification together with KCSE mean grade C-(Minus) In addition applicants must have a mandatory 2 years relevant industry experience.||6 Semesters|
|3||Diploma in Technology(Dip-Tech) in Hotel and Restaurant Management||KSCE Mean Grade C-(minus) and D+ (Plus)in Mathematics or a relevant certificate with KCSE D+ (Plus)||8 Semesters|
List of Programmes – Department of Leisure and Event Management
|1||Bachelor of Science in Event and Convention Management||KCSE: C+ (plus) with C (Plain) in Mathematics option A/B||11 Semesters|
|2||Diploma of Technology (Dip-Tech) in: Event and Convention Management||KSCE Mean Grade C-(minus) and D+ (Plus)in Mathematics or a relevant certificate with KCSE D+ (Plus)||8 semesters|
Intake September every year Career Prospects Graduates can pursue careers in conference organization, business development, conference event or destination marketing, corporate meeting planning, event and concert production and promotion, festival planning and marketing, wedding planning, special event planning and design, careers in are in airlines, cruise lines, resorts, hotels, movie theatres, amusement parks, water theme and parks, arenas, stadia, and trade fairs
List of programmes – Department of Institutional Catering and Accommodation Management
|1||Bachelor of Technology in Institutional Catering and Accommodation Management||KCSE: C+ (plus) with C (Plain) in Mathematics option A/B OR- 3 year Diploma of Technology in Institutional Catering and Accommodation Management/Diploma in Housekeeping and office Management from TUK or equivalent together with KCSE Mean Grade C- (Minus)||11 Semesters 6 Semesters|
|2||Diploma of Technology (Dip-Tech) in Institutional Catering and Accommodation Management||KSCE Mean Grade C-(minus) and D+ (Plus)in Mathematics or a relevant certificate with KCSE D+ (Plus)||8 Semesters|
List of programmes – Department of Tourism & Travel Management
|Bachelor of Science in Tourism and Travel Management||KCSE: C+ (plus) with C (Plain) in Mathematics option A/B||11 Semesters|
|Bachelor of Technology in Tourism and Travel Management||3- year Diploma in Technology (Dip-Tech) in Tourism and Travel Management from TUK, or equivalent qualification together with KCSE mean grade C-(Minus) In addition applicants must have a mandatory 2 years relevant industry experience.||6 Semesters|
|Diploma in Technology in Tourism and Travel Management||KSCE Mean Grade C-(minus) and D+ (Plus)in Mathematics or a relevant certificate with KCSE D+ (Plus)||8 Semesters|
LOCATION: N-BLOCK GROUND FLOOR
The Technical University of Kenya
P.O. Box 52428 – 00200
Located along Haile Selassie Avenue
Tel: +254(020) 2219929, 3341639, 3343672
General inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Feedback/Compalints/Suggestions : email@example.com
Official Communication: firstname.lastname@example.org