Mount Kenya University Bridging Courses, Many University programmes require certain level of mathematics. At Mount Kenya University, almost all courses in the Faculty of Science require a student to have credit in Mathematics. Science students who intend majoring in mathematics, computer science or physics, and all Engineering students require a good understanding Mathematics .Courses in Agriculture, Architecture and Pharmacy also need good Mathematics background does some in Economics programmes.
Students lacking the required mathematical background may be allowed to enroll in a course, but they are likely to experience serious difficulties unless they undertake additional study in preparation. One way to help overcome this difficulty Mount Kenya Curriculum Committee came up with bridging courses in mathematics that run for a period of one semester to upgrade students’ knowledge in Mathematics and enable them do programmes of their choices
Why study the programme
- Develop the mathematical knowledge, skills and understanding needed for continuing education, for life and for work
- Develop the skills of dealing with mathematical concepts in context and applications, as well as in solving problems
- Foster a positive attitude to mathematics in the learner
A large number of candidates would like to pursue Science courses and University education on completion of high school education but are restricted by the poor performance in Science Mathematics subjects at Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE). To address this phenomenon, the School of Science offers bridging courses in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics
- The ability to recall relevant mathematical facts instrumental understanding (“knowing how”) and necessary psychomotor skills (skills of physical coordination)
- The ability to apply their mathematical knowledge and skill to solve problems in familiar and in unfamiliar contexts
- Analytical and creative powers in mathematics
- An appreciation of and positive disposition towards mathematics
Aggregate Grade C+ in KCSE or the equivalent qualifications
Certificate in Bridging Biology
Many O-level students are limited in careers and training by their poor O-level biology performance. This has killed the morale of many and forced them into less desirable alternatives.
Why Study The Programme
The bridging course in biology is an intensive study program for preparing such category of students and hence enabling them pursue higher education in biological sciences, agriculture, pharmacy, medicine etc.
- To upgrade secondary school leaver’s competence in Biology in order to attain the entry qualifications for courses in tertiary institutions.
- To Improve the trainee’s biological skills
The course targets school leavers who have not attained the required grades in biology and biological sciences to join tertiary institutions
Aggregate Grade C+ in KCSE or the equivalent qualifications.
Programme Start Dates
January, May and September every year
Certificate in Bridging Chemistry
Secondary school leavers (including O- and A- level) whose performance in O-level chemistry was poor are limited in the choice of career in science. Because of these limitations, many are forced to take less desirable alternative careers.
The bridging course in Chemistry is intensive study programs which will prepare such category of students and hence enable them pursue higher education in chemistry, agriculture and industrial courses
Why study the programme
- Improve the trainee’s skills in Chemistry.
- Upgrade secondary school leaver’s competence in Chemistry in order to attain the entry qualification for courses in tertiary institutions.
The course is designed for students who have completed high school studies and have a weak background in the chemistry subject and who are enrolling in a Faculty for which knowledge of Chemistry is needed. It is suitable for students entering any of the first year chemistry courses at the main campus at the Mount Kenya University as it aims to provide students with the basic knowledge required for the study of chemistry at university level; it’s especially suitable if you have not studied chemistry before but intend to study courses which require some knowledge of chemistry
Upon completion of the prescribed course of the study for the Bridging Course chemistry the graduate will have acquired the skills and abilities to be able to:
1) Undertake undergraduate programmes that require chemistry background
The general regulations of Mount Kenya University and those of the Mount Kenya University School shall apply. No candidate shall be registered for the Bridging Certificate in Chemistry without satisfying the minimum University entry requirements. The Senate of the university shall have the final authority on all matters relating to academics.The programme will be guided by the regulation stipulated in the following sections