Mount Kenya University Animal Health, the BSc degree in Animal Health and Production is a unique programme, tailored to train and equip a Livestock Manager in the tropics with adequate theoretical and practical knowledge in preventive veterinary medicine, herd health and wildlife diseases.
The early part of the programme covers anatomy, physiology, biostatistics, computer skills, microbiology and pathology. The final part of the course covers the delivery and management of animal health services. The course aims to provide skills in epidemiology and economics with knowledge in: Arid and semi-arid lands (ASAL) livestock health management; Business skills for livestock services; Management of community based Animal Health programmes; Policy analysis for the livestock sector and Biotechnology in Veterinary Medicine which are currently lacking in the professions.
How This Course Will Benefit Your Career
- Develop appropriate skills and knowledge in veterinary epidemiology, biotechnology, and economics of disease control and ethnoveterinary medicine for increased food production under different livestock management systems.
- Train undergraduates in the field of agricultural production with emphasis on animal health and production.
- Emphasizing in the above training appreciation for the role of animal diseases in animal production through general disease diagnosis and elaboration of preventive measures.
- Train undergraduates in basic research techniques.
- Prepare undergraduates for self-employment in livestock sector, especially in disease prevention and animal production
- Provide advanced training opportunity for diploma graduates in animal health/livestock officers, dairy science, range management, animal production, farm management, to up-grade their knowledge in animal health management.
Bachelor of science in Animal health and production
What jobs will I qualify for?
- Veterinary Officer
- Animal Health Officer