Chuka University Nursing, to produce nursing graduates who will utilize their intellectual and practical abilities to offer high quality health services to clients in hospitals and communities in Kenya and behold.
The Chuka University BScN program will be a pacesetter in the preparation of competent nurses with holistic knowledge, attitude and skills in nursing for the 21st century and behold.
- To promote and maintain high standard of training in nursing to our students.
- To continuously improve partnership with affiliate health institutions in promoting and maintaining quality nursing care standards so as to provide a better clinical learning for our students.
- To facilitate research and innovation in nursing education and practice for social and economic development.
- To attract and retain highly motivated staff in the nursing department.
- To continuously improve governance, leadership and management of the departmental affairs.
- To enhance awareness of HIV & AIDS among departmental staff and students.
At the Chuka University Department of Nursing, we offer exceptional programs for students who want to become nurses. The university provides quality nursing education from nurse lecturers with a wealth of experience. We offer a 4-year nursing education course leading to the award of Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BScN) degree. Each academic year is divided into 3 trimesters.
During the first 2 trimesters of sixteen (16) weeks each, students undergo classroom and skillslab teaching and continuous assessment tests. The last 2 weeks are for undertaking end of trimester examinations. During the third trimester of every academic year, students undergo a 16 week clinical placement in the approved teaching hospitals whereby they get hands on practical experience following the master rotation as per the level of training. A clinical examination is conducted in the last 2 weeks of the placement.
Chuka University offers a number of resources and experiences to enhance theoretical and practical learning experiences in preparation of the modern professional nurse. There is a complete simulation lab (skillslab) with mannequins, some responding as patients would; for students’ practical sessions as they are prepared for real clinical competencies.
In the university library, you will find variety of nursing textbooks for every level of learning. The university is in the process of acquiring modern medical equipment for a complete physiology and biochemistry laboratories. In the classroom, you will find various hospital-based medical equipments; e.g. diagnostic sets, for demonstration during teaching. The university has partnered with the leading teaching hospitals in the region to prepare graduates with the required professional skills to address the heath care needs of our nation and behold.
Find your path of entry into our BScN program from any of the categories below:
Minimum university entry admission requirements at KCSE (Mean grade C+). In addition, students must obtain at least a C+ (plus) in each of the following subjects:
- English or Kiswahili
- Biology or Biological Sciences
- Chemistry or Physical Sciences
- Mathematics or Physics
Kenya Advanced Certificate of Education (KACE):
- Two principal passes in science subjects (i.e. Principal in Biology and a Principal in Chemistry)
- Subsidiary pass in Mathematics or Physics
Candidates holding qualifications approved by the Nursing Council of Kenya to be equivalent to those in Category A and B or above from institutions recognized by the Chuka University Senate may also be admitted.
Payment of all fees and charges for Bachelor of Science (Nursing) Fees
- Tuition Ksh. 16,000 per year (or Ksh. 8,000 per semester)
- Nursing Council of Kenya Fee Ksh.8,550 (payable once in 1st semester)
- Clinical Placement Fee Ksh. 15,000 Per year (payable each 2nd semester)
- Other Fees and Charges 14,000 (Payable at the beginning of each academic year)