All About Moi Girls High School Eldoret
Moi Girls High School Eldoret is a National Girls’ boarding school managed by the school’s board of management. It is a Christian non – denominational school providing the secondary cycle of the 8-4-4 system of education. Every form has six streams. For the purpose of more effective teaching, the form three and four classes are redistributed, each to make 7 streams of almost equal numbers.
Our Vision : To Be The Premier National School For Girls.
Our Mission: To provide high quality education, nurture talent and innovation and to develop the moral and spiritual well-being of each student in preparation for a life of service.
Moi Girls High School Eldoret – History
Moi Girls’ High School – Eldoret has a long history dating back to 1928. It was first established then as a European Primary School to cater for the children of the white settlers in the then White Highlands. The primary school was later renamed Highlands Primary School.
In the 1930’s, the school was moved across the Sosiani river to what is now Hill School. A teacher training college was started later in the 1930’s but it did not successfully take off. The need for a girls’ high school for the white settlers in Eastern Africa saw the founding of the present school. It was opened in 1954 with the name New Girls’ High School. The school was later renamed The Highlands School.
Most of the school buildings were put up between 1952 and 1957. However, the oldest structures accommodating the Music and French departments were constructed in the early 1930’s.
The Highlands School triumphed both in academic and sports in the 1950’s and 1960’s.
After Kenya’s attainment of independence and self rule in 1963 and 1964 respectively, the school experienced a decline in number of students because the settlers began relocating to other countries. So In 1965, the first African students were admitted to the school through the government policy of integration. New members of the Board of Governors that were appointed included the first Africans who in turn elected Hon. D. T. arap Moi as the school board chairman. The school had him as the chairman of the board since then till 2007 when he formally retired.
In 1978, the school had its name changed from ‘The Highlands School’ to ‘Moi Girls’ High School – Eldoret’. This was done in honour of the long serving board chairman who had then risen to become the president of the Republic of Kenya that same year
Moi Girls High School Eldoret – Facilities
The school aims at providing diverse and quality resources, which will facilitate the implementation of the curriculum offered.
- The school library.
- 25 Classrooms each of capacity 40
- 5 Science Laboratories
- 2 Home Science rooms
- 1 Art laboratory
- 2 French rooms
- 2 Music rooms
- 1 Computer laboratory
- 1 Library – which can sit 400
- 1 School hall – can hold 800
- 3 Dining rooms – of capacity 400
- 9 Dormitories – larger ones house 160
- 1 Sanatorium
- 1 Tuck shop/restaurant
- 1 Chapel – of capacity 1200
- 1 Staff room
- 1 Swimming pool
- 2 Basketball courts
- 6 Volleyball pitches
- 1 football field
- 3 Netball fields
- 2 Hockey pitches
- 3 Lawn tennis courts
- 2 Badminton courts
- 2 Table tennis tables
- 3 T.V. rooms
- 1 Athletics field
Moi Girls High School Eldoret Chaplaincy
- Seventh Day Adventists Group
- Catholic Group
- Muslim Group
- Christian Union
Moi Girls High School Eldoret Students Resources
- Guidance and Counselling
- Career Guidance
Moi Girls High School Eldoret Contacts
School Name: Moi Girls’ High School
Physical Location: Kapsoya- Elgeyo Road
Address: P.O. Box 140, Eldoret 30100
City/Town : Eldoret
County: Uasin Gishu
School Category: public
School Code : 26500001
Phone Number: 053 61714, 0721 969 756